Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Home Cook's Legacy

We all want to create something that lasts, something that outlives us and can be passed on from generation to generation. The ingredients we use in our day-to-day cooking can't fit that bill because food is impermanent. Meals are eaten, and life goes on. For the man or woman who loves to create meals for their loved ones, this causes a conundrum. Creating lacquered versions of each of every meal we cook just isn't practical.

Two important women in my life opted to put together cookbooks instead. My Nana Vidal authored one called Everything But... Filet Mignon. My Grandma Shook wrote Recipes: Remember These?. I cherish both; they contain recipes that were (and are) family favorites. Even if you didn't personally know either woman, reading her cookbook would tell you a lot about her. When I look for inspiration, I need go no further.

One day, I'll write my own cookbook for the up and coming cooks in my own little family. It might never be published, and that's okay. I put a lot of myself into my cooking. All I'm looking to do is share the love. In the meantime, I'll do that by cooking yummy food for the people I care about.

1 comment:

  1. Awww... I love that cookbook by Grandmama Shook! I have my copy and I will cherish it forever!

    ReplyDelete