On a hot summer day, there are times when a warm meal just won't do. This cold, hearty salad is perfect for when you're looking for a meal that'll fill you up without turning your home into an oven. Make it the night before you plan to eat it so that the tortellini can marinate and all of the flavors can meld.
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 ounces tortellini, cooked according to package instructions
- 8 ounces of your favorite hard cheese (I love using sharp cheddar!), cut into small cubes
- 1 large bell pepper, diced (I like using red, orange, or yellow)
- 1/3 cup olives, pitted and sliced
- 3 cups of your favorite salad greens (spinach, lettuce, arugula, etc.)
How To Make It
1) Put olive oil, vinegar, dry mustard, oregano, basil, and minced garlic in a bowl. Blend well using an emersion blender. Set aside.
2) Place hot pasta in a lidded container, pour your marinade over it, and invert/gently shake container
several times to coat well.
3) Cool the mixture to room temperature.
4) Add cheese cubes, pepper pieces, and the olives.
5) Invert/shake again to coat all ingredients.
6) Chill for several hours, ideally overnight.
7) Right before serving add your fresh greens.