Have ya'll figured out that I like spinach yet? Start with making (or buying) a single pie crust and add in quiche-y goodness.
For the crust you'll need...
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 4-6 TBSP water
For the filling you'll need...
- 5 eggs
- 8 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 small minced onion
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp sugar
How To Cook It
1) Blend flour and salt.
2) Cut in shortening with a pastry cutter until the pieces are the size of small peas.
3) Sprinkle the water/vinegar into the flour mixture while gently tossing the mixture with a fork. Form into a ball. Try to handle the dough as little as possible, but add a little more water if the dough is too dry.
4) Put the ball into the refrigerator to chill.
5) Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
6) Grease a 9 inch pie plate.
7) After about 15-30 minutes, remove the dough ball from the your 'fridge and place on a floured surface.
8) Roll from the center to the edges to make a round flat dough that is a little bigger than your pie plate.
9) Gently fold it in half to pick it up and place it on the pie plate.
10) Prick the bottom of the crust with a fork and bake for 5-7 minutes. Set aside.
1) Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) Beat eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and sugar in a large bowl. An immersion blender works great for this!
3) Stir in the cheese, onion, and spinach.
4) Before the heavier ingredients can settle, pour evenly into the partially baked pie crust.
5) Bake for 15 minutes at 425, then lower the temperature to 300 degrees. Bake for 30-40 minutes more, or until a knife inserted one inch from the edge of the pie plate comes out clean.
6) Allow your quiche to rest and set for at least 10-15 minutes before serving.