- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 TBSP yeast
- 1 TBSP salt
- 1 1/2 cups wheat flour
- 4 1/2 cups white flour
- 1/2 cup flax seed meal
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 2 cups water
- 1 egg
How To Make Them
- You'll need to make the dough for these at least 4 1/2 hours before serving, but it can keep in the refrigerator for about 3 days.
- You can make this dough by hand, but I prefer to use a stand mixer with a dough hook so the instructions are written with that in mind.
2) On your stove, heat the water in a saucepan and melt the butter in the water.
3) Whip the egg and mix into the flour.
4) Add the warm liquid (not too hot, or you'll kill the yeast to the bowl and scramble your egg) and set your mixer on low speed until you have a smooth and elastic dough.
5) Move dough to an oiled bowl, lightly brush the top of the dough with oil, cover and let rise until doubled. The time this takes is dependent on the temperature and draftiness of your home, but it typically takes me about 1 1/2 hours.
6) Punch dough down. Now, you can shape the dough into rolls or cover tightly and put in the 'fridge.
7) If you've chosen the latter, remove the dough about 2 1/2 - 3 hours before serving. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
8) Form dough into any desired shape and drop into greased muffin pans. I like rolling three little balls and pressing them together like my Nana did; after baking they pull apart wonderfully for easy dipping. Cover and let raise until doubled.
9) Bake your rolls 15-20 minutes until golden.
10) Melt a little additional butter to brush on top of the baked rolls before serving if desired.