Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Sugared Tomatoes

I know plenty of folks who sprinkle sugar on their morning grapefruit, but tomatoes?!? It's true that tomatoes are usually savory fare, but they can also be transformed into an easy summer dessert.

When I was a girl, I was introduced to the idea of "tomatoes as dessert" by an elderly friend of the family. He and his wife both told me that when they grew up on their respective family farms, their parents would pluck tomatoes from the garden, add sugar, are serve to the kids for dessert. I was skeptical, but tried and fell in love with the idea.

So, how do you make a light summery dessert and use up excess tomatoes in the process? Very, very simple...


Ingredients
- tomatoes, thickly sliced
- sugar, to taste (I'd recommend just using less sugar over an artificial sweetener any day.)

How To Prepare
1) Lightly sprinkle your tomato slices with sugar and serve. That's it. Done. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment