Please don't be afraid of the word "poached." This really is an easy dessert. "To poach" is simply to cook something in simmering liquid, in this case that liquid is wine.
- 2 pears, cored and sliced
- 1 cup red wine (extra for the cook in a separate glass if desired)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste.
How to Cook It
- Pour your wine into a pan or pot large enough to fit your pear slices in a single layer.
- Stir in the ground pepper and heat the mixture until it just barely simmers.
- Add the pear slices. Poach them for 5-10 minutes depending on the thickness of your slices. Turn them halfway through your cooking time so that you get wine on both sides.
- Once soft, remove the pears from the wine.
- From here, you can either discard the wine or continue to simmer until it turns into a syrup.
- For a light dessert, serve your pears solo. Feeling more indulgent? Add them to a couple scoops of french vanilla ice cream.