I don't know about you, but chilly, cloudy, February weather has me yearning for comfort food. This vegetarian bake reminds me of macaroni and cheese, but without the elbow noodles. I recommend serving it fresh and steaming right out of the oven!
For the sauce you'll need...
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 3 TBSP flour
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 TBSP dried parsley
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 24 ounces cauliflower florets
- 3 medium potatoes with their peels, chopped
How to Cook It
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) Boil potatoes until tender, drain, and set aside.
3) Steam the cauliflower al dente. It should still be a little crunchy.
4) Get a 2 1/2 quart baking dish and add cauliflower and tomatoes. Toss/stir gently to combine. Spread the chopped potatoes over the top.
5) Melt the butter in a medium sauce pan.
6) Add onions and garlic. Sauté for about 2-3 minutes.
7) Gradually add flour to the pot, stirring constantly until combined for an additional 2 minutes or so.
8) Pour in milk, and add the salt, pepper, parsley, and paprika.
9) Add approximately 2/3 of the cheddar and parmesan. Stir so that the cheese melts and all ingredients meld together. Bring up to a boil.
10) Remove from heat, and pour evenly over your dish of vegetables.
11) Place in oven and bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese starts to bubble and brown.