I found this great recipe in The New Moosewood Cookbook. If you're baking it for a child, you might consider sitting a toy person with a little toothpick or mini flag "paddle" on top. Hope you enjoy baking (and eating) up this tasty zucchini dish as much as I did!
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 4 medium-sized zucchini (about 2 pounds)
- 1-2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups onion, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, minced
- 6 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups almonds or pecans, minced and lightly toasted
- 3 TBSP fresh lemon juice (about 1 small lemon)
- black pepper, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- a few pinches of freshly minced or dried herbs: any combination of parsley, basil, dill, thyme, or marjoram
- 1 cup packed and grated swiss or cheddar cheese
How To Cook It
1) Cut the zucchini lengthwise down the middle. Use a smallish spoon to scoop out the insides, leaving a canoe with a 1/4 inch shell. Mince the insides, and set everything aside.
2) Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized skillet. Add the onions and salt and saute over medium heat until the onion is soft (5 to 8 minutes).
3) Add the minced zucchini innards and the mushrooms. Turn up the heat and cook for about 8 minutes, stirring, letting the liquid evaporate. Stir in the garlic and remove from heat.
4) Stir in the rice and nuts, along with the lemon juice, and season to taste with black pepper, cayenne, and the herbs of your choice.
5) Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Fill the zucchini shells, top with cheese, and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until heated through. Serve hot.