I shared this recipe on the Cooking From My Heart(h) Facebook page the other day, and thought it would be good to get it up on the ole blog. We made dulce de leche every Christmas at my house. Spread it on toast, use it as an ice cream topping, eat it straight off the spoon... it tastes like caramel. Endless possibilities await! Without further adieu, I give you dulce de leche in six easy steps:
How To Make It
1) Buy as many cans of sweetened condensed milk as you want.
2) Peel the labels off the cans, but leave them sealed.
3) Put sealed cans in a large pot and fill with water.
4) Bring water to a boil and "cook" cans for 2.5-3 hours. Keep the cans covered with ample water or they will EXPLODE.
5) When time is up, put cans in cold water by pouring or using tongs. When cool, put the cans in your 'fridge overnight.6) Open cans, and enjoy freshly made dulce de leche!